Thursday, March 1, 2012

Introduction

Are you a fan of...

FOSSILS

NATURE

SPACE

and/or

ADVENTURE?

Well, awesome. So am I.

And I have the best job on the planet for channeling that enthusiasm: I am a science educator. Think "Bill Nye" and you've got the right idea. My specialty is paleontology, but I also teach biology, geology, meteorology, zoology, archaeology ... and many other -ologies (except astrology, which doesn't exactly count as science). (Though I do teach astronomy. Just in case you were wondering.)

I am also an author. I write middle grade novels touching on the themes of all the above. My goal in life is to inspire kids to get outside and explore their world. I am not published yet, but I am working on it. I am a member of SCBWI, and have been trying my best to do this author thing the "right" way. That means patience, multiple revisions, critique groups...the whole nine yards.

This blog will hopefully provide a place for fans of science to hear some interesting stories, and fans of stories to learn some interesting science. I would love more than anything to see accurate science show up in fictional (and let's face it, nonfictional) kidlit. Science is pretty much the coolest thing ever, and it's so often underrepresented/misrepresented in media! It doesn't have to be that way! With any luck, this blog will prove just how awesome science can be, and make it both exciting and accessible to people of all ages and backgrounds.

Let's try an example. Did you know Europa, one of the four Galilean Moons of Jupiter, is actually an ice world with gigantic oceans under its frozen surface? It could be hosting alien life, right in our own Solar System! Life far more developed than anything we chance finding on Mars!




How cool is that? And what a neat concept for a novel!

...Speaking of, if you are an author trying to incorporate science into your book, please don't hesitate to drop me an email with any questions. If I can't answer your question, chances are I know someone who can. Seriously. Go for it. My contact info is over in the sidebar.

With all that being said, welcome! I hope you're ready to join me in discovering all the stories in the great, wide, wonderfully wild world that is SCIENCE.


No comments:

Post a Comment