Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Post-Conference: NESCBWI 2012

Wow, what a conference!

I got back from Springfield on Sunday evening and was far too wired from my post-conference high to sit down in front of my computer and write a follow-up. And yesterday I was naturally far too exhausted to do so.

Two days late, here I finally am. I'll be keeping this short, because I have another post I intend to write tonight. So, here is a brief list of takeaway lessons I learned from the conference:

  1. Publishing will happen when the time is right. There is no rush. Rushing just hinders your own growth as a writer.

  2. It pays to take the time to get to know the business and marketing side of the writing world before you actually land yourself a book deal. As Scar once famously said, "Be prepared!".

  3. In my newest project, my kid character team apparently meets secretly in a old musty cellar that I didn't even know existed before Saturday. Thanks, writing prompts!

  4. Real-life writing friends are the best things ever. My critique group kicks butt and takes names. We're going places, baby, and we're having an awesome time together on our journeys.

  5. I'm ready to query. Really, truly ready. I had my query letter and first ten pages critiqued, and the agent and editor who did the critiquing found next to nothing wrong with them! A few touch-ups, and then full-steam ahead to the agent hunt! Huzzah!
All in all, a fabulous weekend. I'm already looking forward to next year. And in the meantime, I'm looking forward to reading the awesome new books I bought at the conference bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment