Thursday, June 5, 2014

Spring Catch-Up: NESCBWI 2014

My fourth NESCBWI conference was a little bittersweet. But we'll get to that later. First, the fun things!
  1. I got to meet my amazing agent in person! Joan was very patient with me as I totally confused her in our first conversation...then phone call...then second conversation. But I think I finally made sense by lunch the next day.

  2. I had two spectacular marketing sessions with Mitali Perkins and Lynda Mullaly Hunt. Instead of panicked, I'm now feeling pumped to start that whole process!

  3. Katherine Quimby Johnson had a truly remarkable session about character and gender, and I wish everyone in the universe could've attended.

  4. I learned how to make a non-fiction book proposal with Loree Griffin Burns, and this has sparked an amazing idea in my secret writing brain vaults...

  5. The keynotes, as usual, left me ultra-inspired. How does that always happen? Not that I'm complaining!

  6. And last but not least, I got to hang out with my awesome critique group all weekend. These people are seriously the best.

But this brings me to the bittersweet: two members of my crit group are leaving.


The conference was our last hurrah as a group. Since then, Lisa has already packed up and gone to Texas, and Julia will be heading out to St. Louis later this summer. I'm going to miss them terribly. They're two of my dearest friends and just plain old amazing people.

BUT. We've made tentative plans for a reunion at NESCBWI 2015, so cross your fingers! The t-shirted gang might be back to take the conference by storm yet again!

Love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment